Tuesday, November 30, 2010

'Tis The Season for Sub-Zero!

Here are two stories featuring Novelty Press' Sub-Zero, from "Blue Bolt Comics" volume 2 issues 3 & 4 (August & September 1941). My holiday-related ramblings follow the stories, so you don't have to read what I think about anything if you don't want.




















Now that December is almost finally here, it's time for me to really get geared-up for Christmas. That means trying to get all the Xmas shopping done some time before December 25th. It also means dusting-off all of the old Holiday video favorites. Here are mine (in no order what-so-ever):

A Christmas Carol: There's two versions of this movie I like, one with George C. Scott and the other one with Alastair Sim. I usually watch them back-to-back because there are a few scenes in each movie that the other one doesn't have.

A Christmas Story: I know it gets played for 24 straight hours on Xmas Day, but that's not the only day I want to watch it.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas: The original cartoon narrated by Boris Karloff.

'twas the night before Christmas: Produced by Rankin/Bass, I watched this every year ... probably since it first came out (holy crap, I'm old!).

Speaking Rankin/Bass ... Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, Frosty The Snowman and The Little Drummer Boy are all must-watch shows for me. I'll admit, though, that Little Drummer Boy can get pretty boring at points.

Yes, It's A Wonderful Life is on the list, too. Problem I have with this is that it seems like every year, I misplace the video after I watch it, so I have to tear the house apart to find it the next year. I don't know why this happens, as I'm usually not so careless about my DVDs & video tapes. Even if things look chaotic in my video collection, I can usually find whatever I want within five minutes (even if it gets burried in a pile), but when it comes to "It's a Wonderful Life", every year it seems like I have to spend about a week trying to figure-out what I did with it.

South Park: Mr Hanky, The Christmas Poo: I'm not a huge fan of South Park anymore as they just seem to be "shocking" for the sake of being "shocking", but way back when, South Park used to be shocking & funny.

A Charlie Brown Christmas: "Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie-Browniest". Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the cartoon itself and end-up just listening to the music (which I happen to have on cd). I also have "It's Christmas Time Again, Charlie Brown" on VHS, but after I tried watching it once, I was so disappointed by it that I simply don't bother with it now.

Year Without A Santa Claus: The Miser Brothers are the main reason I watch this every year.

Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire aka Simpsons Christmas Special: It's crude in comparison to later seasons of the show, but it's still fun to watch at least once a year.

Almost forgot ... MST3K's version of Santa Claus Conquers The Martians: The song ("Hooray for Santa Claus") usually gets stuck in my head for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. Very useful information for people, I think this is what everyone needs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Comic Blog Elite